Owner claims dog choked to death after Starbucks staff put biscuit in puppuccino

A heartbroken dog owner claims her French bulldog puppy choked to death after Starbucks staff put a dog biscuit in her puppuccino.

Megan Harrison, 24, visited Starbucks in Festival Park, Stoke on Trent, back on September 7 and bought the creamy dog treat for her three pooches as staff topped them with Bonio biscuits.

Megan says she was horrified to find 18-week-old Bonnie dead shortly after finishing her treat.

She said her fiance spent ten minutes desperately trying to remove the biscuit and doing CPR, but there was “nothing they could do” to save Bonnie.

The enhanced support services worker said she’s “absolutely disgusted” by Starbucks’ response as they offered her a £250 voucher.

Megan is now speaking out to staff to either break the biscuits into small pieces or do not add them to the treat.

A spokesperson from Starbucks said they were “really upset” to hear about Megan’s loss and stated that puppuccinos are not an official item on the Starbucks UK menu.

The chain also said dog biscuits are not usually provided however they claimed their staff asked Megan if her dog would like one on this occasion as they knew her and it was placed on top of the puppuccino.

Bonio manufacturer Purina said the health and wellbeing of pets is their “number one priority”, adding they don’t supply dog biscuits to restaurants and cafes.

Megan from Crewe, Cheshire East, said: “It’s so heartbreaking, I’ll never really be over it.

“She was just so funny and lovely and had a really big personality. I had to hand-rear her myself when she was newborn.”

Megan said Bonnie has had puppuccinos before and this was the first time there was a biscuit in it.

She added: “I didn’t know what to do. Her tongue was out and eyes were open, I knew that she’d gone.

“She didn’t come to me like ‘mum, mum’, she just went to her bed and it happened like that. It was like she didn’t want to worry us and just wanted to go peacefully.

“My partner put his fingers down her throat to try and get the biscuit. We managed to pull this big chunk of biscuit out, it was bitten in half but it was still jammed in her throat.

“It was covered in mucus, sick, blood, cream and water. We tried doing CPR. We did everything we could do for her but there was nothing that we could actually do.”

Megan said she called the emergency vet and also gave Bonnie’s mum Bell and brother Billie an opportunity to say goodbye to her.

After making the heart-wrenching calls, Megan contacted Starbucks to let them know what happened.

Megan said: “My partner rang them and told them what happened. All we wanted was to make sure that it didn’t happen to any other dogs because what happened to me, I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. It was heart-breaking.

“I’ve spoken to Starbucks and to be honest, I’m absolutely disgusted with them.

“It wasn’t like ‘oh, I’m really sorry that this has happened’, it felt more like ‘I’m really sorry but what can we do to get you back in store?'”

Devastated Megan said she was offered a £250 voucher, but feels she wasn’t given a sincere apology.

Megan said: “I emailed them back and said ‘I don’t want a gift card for your store because I’m not going to be a customer again, it’s pointless’.

“I haven’t even had a sincere apology from them or anything, that’s all I would have really wanted to be honest. That would have been more than enough for me.”

Megan is now urging the chain to put puppucinos on the menu so that staff and customers know exactly what’s in them.

A Starbucks spokesman said: “Our partners (employees) are really upset to hear about the customer’s loss, the customer and her dogs are known and well-loved in our store.

“Puppuccinos are not an official item on the Starbucks UK menu. If customers request the item we have a ‘make every moment right’ policy and offer them free of charge.”

A Purina spokesperson said: “We would like to pass on our sincere condolences to the owners of the puppy.

“We know that the loss of a pet in any circumstances is heartbreaking and the health and wellbeing of pets is our number one priority.

“We don’t supply dog biscuits to restaurants and caf s and we would not recommend serving treats to pets in a way that leaves owners unable to see the feeding guidelines on the pack.

“This guidance indicates to the owner whether a snack is safe and appropriate for their individual pet.”